Trademark Portfolio Management
Does your company have a portfolio of trademarks used and acquired over the years? Gerben IP can help manage deadlines, make filings, and counsel your company on how to best maintain strong trademark protection for your valuable assets.
We work with companies to recognize, register, and protect trademarks and copyrights. Sometimes a company might have valuable rights that they are leaving on the table – for example, did you know you can trademark distinctive product packaging? Color combinations? Sounds? In the right circumstances, all of these things can be used and registered as trademarks, and Gerben IP can help you recognize and develop these rights.
Most importantly, Gerben IP takes the guess work out of renewing and maintaining your trademark and copyright registrations. We will work with you to ensure that you do not miss any deadline and that the documents that you provide the USPTO meet the standards of the USPTO and U.S. trademark laws.
Tips Regarding Trademark Portfolio Management
- Trademark registration need to be renewed: between the 5-6 years, 9-10 years, 19-20 years, and onward from the registration date.
- If properly used and renewed, a trademark registration can last indefinitely.
- Copyright registrations (for works made after January 1, 1978) do not need to be renewed. They last for 70 years from the death of the author (or 90 years for anonymous works and works-for-hire).
- If a trademark registration is not renewed before the deadline, you will have a 6-month grace period to revive the registration for an additional fee. After that, it is gone forever.
- Trademark rights are “use it or lose it” – if you stop using a trademark for an extended period of time, you may lose your trademark rights through abandonment.